There are a number of reasons why you might want to work offline from Project Server.
•One, you might want to work on a project while flying across the country (but don’t take your eyes off the instrument panel).
•Two, the network you are using goes down unexpectedly while you’re are in the middle of managing an important project.
•Three, you want to share a project in Project Server using e-mail. You need to follow the below steps to work offline.
Step 1 – Check out a project
- Start Project Professional 2010 and connect to Project Server.
2. On the File tab, click Open.
3. In the Open dialog box, click Retrieve the list of all projects from Project Server. The Open dialog box displays a list of projects in Project Server.
4. Click the project you want to open, and then click Open
5. After the file opens, set Project to work offline from the server.
- On the File tab, click Info.
2. On the right, click Manage Accounts, and then click Work Offline.
6. When you have finished working on the project offline, close Microsoft Project and hit OK as per below snapshot.
Keep in mind, that when you open Project Professional again to continue working on
the project offline, you need to select the server to which it was initially
saved, and then click Work Offline in the Login dialog box.
Note: If you do not select the server to which the project file was initially saved, you will not be able to open the project file.
Step 2: Synchronize changes with Project Server
- Start Project Professional.
- In the Login dialog box, select the server to which the offline file was initially connected. Do not click Work Offline.
- Note If you do not select the server to which the offline file was initially connected, then you will not be able to open the file.
3. On the File tab, click Open.
4. In the Open dialog box, double-click the project name to open it from your computer
5. Click on Publish to synchronize changes to the PWA.
6. Wait until you see below message on the MS Project status bar
7. Now, On the File tab, click Close.
8. When prompted to check in the file, click OK.
9. Your project file is now synchronized with the version on the server. Bingo!